
Space traveler?!
“Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars…” That is how a very famous Frank Sinatra song starts and I can assure you, I would really like to play among the stars!
The question is: If I was offered to go to space, would I? Without hesitation the answer would be yes. Long before this assignment was presented to me I have sometimes thought about this, and I have come to the conclusion that I am prepared to sacrifice a lot for a moment in space. For example, if I would win a large amount of money I could easily spend it all on a journey to the stars. There are many reasons to why I would go, but the first is of course curiosity. Ever since I was a young girl space has interested and impressed me. If I had a chance to find out more my curious mind would automatically seek answers… What would it be like? What would I see? How would it feel? I think it is part of my personality as a science student to be curios, and have a will to find out more. I will never know everything of course, but hopefully as much as possible.
Another thing that really affects my positive decision is the feeling of being part of something larger. By this I mean that mankind has shown a tendency to believe that we are the greatest thing ever. I do not agree with that. There is so much we do not know, not only when it comes to the Universe. Think about it, it is almost impossible to even imagine how large the Universe really is. In the same way it is hard to imagine just how fast the speed of light is, our brains find it just as hard to make sense of a light-year, or the eternity concept for that matter. A chance to get a feeling of the enormous Universe would not pass me by.
It is a known fact though, that not every journey to space is successful. This however does not affect my decision. We can not live our lives afraid of the inevitable. Sooner or later, all of us will be gone, and I will not let fear stand between me and an unforgettable experience. So please, fly me to the moon!

1 Comments:
At 9:49 AM,
The Teacher said…
Anna,
A really strong entry. It's structured, well written and personal--everything a good text should be. Keep it up!
Two (really) minor notes:
(1) I think the text would be even easier to read if you would start a new paragraph in the middle of the second paragraph, starting at "There are many reasons..." You start the paragraph talking about your answer to the question, and then you spend the latter half of the paragraph discussing the reasons for your answer. Dividing these two parts into seperate paragraphs might help the reader.
(2) "cannot" is one word. Always.
I really enjoyed reading your text.
Cheers,
Andreas
Post a Comment
<< Home