University studies
If one wants a decent job, university studies seems inevitable in our world today. Unfortunately many people do study, and this has lead to the fact that a decent job after university studies might be at the local post office or something similar. Without studies however, getting a job of any kind feels like mission impossible. But, during spring 2003 at the age of 23, these thoughts were not occupying me. I dealt with bigger questions; “What do I want to do with my life?” and “What do I want to be when I grow up?”. As you might understand the question was not if I would study at a university, rather what? And that was not an easy question either…
How did I become so determined to study at a university? What has affected my choice? There are, as I see it, some classical things that might affect one’s decision – although they should not. The will or desire to study should come from within, but… First there is the parent factor. Because they are well educated so should their children be, or since they never studied themselves their children should. Second there is the brother/sister factor. The younger siblings just do as the older ones did, taking the easy way out. The friend factor is the third reason. Some people have no will of their own; they just follow their friends. So which, if any, affected me?
Well, I have always had a very strong will of my own and I set my mind to University studies at an early stage of my life. At the age of 8 I decided to become a brain surgeon, and the only way to succeed was of course to study. As the years have passed my choice of occupation has changed, but the will to study has never left my mind. In some way my father might have affected my area of interest, since he himself was both very good at, and interested in mathematics and science. But neither he, nor my mother, ever told me what to do. My sister set of towards the University when I was 17, but her stories never really impressed me. As for my friends, some of them have studied at universities, but not a single one of them have chosen science. In fact, they find me a bit weird… So I think I can say I made the decision myself, with a little guidance.
Today I am in the middle of my 8th semester, on the way of becoming an engineer and I am certain I have made the right choice. During semester 7 and 8 I have had the opportunity to choose freely among all available courses. This has been great, of course, and my enthusiasm towards school has increased tremendously. I am now taking DNA analysis and Gene cloning, which is very interesting! Graduation is coming closer, but the academic world still interests me and I am very curious to what it can offer me in the future.
(The assignment is avaliable at http://engt20s07.blogspot.com)

2 Comments:
At 10:00 AM,
Anna Arnfeldt said…
Hello!
I recognize your story. It is never easy to decide what to do with your life. A lot of questions arise when it is time to make some large decisions. I am glad you are pleased with your choice. God writing!
/Anna A
At 7:28 PM,
Eva-Lena Gustafsson said…
Hi!
Nice writing. It sounds great that you think that you are on the right track!
In the second paragraph you talk about "some classical things that might affect one’s decision – although they should not". This way of putting it got me to think. Maybe it would be easier if it was considered more correct to admit both to yourself and others that you infact look up to and are really influenced by someone else. Not that I think that you should not follow your own ideas but if you are hesitating then it might make things easier for some people. This since I think it is unfortunate if a person choses not to study at all just because they are not convinced that they themselves have the right inner motive power. Many times just any higher education is better than non at all. That is then another interesting matter but I do not think I want to get in to that...!
Cheers,
Eva-Lena
Post a Comment
<< Home